One of the first and most powerful steps is store get more head space. Consumed by thoughts, not being conscious about what you are thinking, leads not only to bad decision making but also to unconscious behavior. To alter yourself towards a more authentic you, or to alter anything about yourself, you need to first be aware of what is going on, what are the thoughts, patterns and actions that keep you in the state that you are in right now?!?
Meditation and mindfulness do not only give you the power to become aware of you own situation it also helps you too be more present in the moment, relax your body and mind and enhance your love and kindness towards yourself and others.
There are many different ways of meditating and a lot of different mindfulness techniques.
- The most simplest of all, and maybe also the hardest of all is simply sitting in silence and noticing what is happening to you, but without any control just letting everything happen, if thought arise let them arise if your body hurts in some way let that be just as it is, being fully acceptable of the now. The more you do this the more you will be able to get space in between the thoughts and sit in that space.
- Breathing, another way is to focus your breath, counting the breath and using the breath as an anchor to remain conscious, helping you whenever you gone or are not conscious or completely identified with a thought or daydreaming, getting you back to not be the thoughts but observing the thoughts.
- Body scan, scanning all parts of you body and breathing towards pains in your body, helpt to bring the attention thus energy towards parts that need the extra energy to heal and transform, very powerful, very helpful.
- Energy meditation, Twin hearts, full moon, heart mediation, all are mediation to open up the heart, connecting to the earth, the heavens and open up our wheels of energy on our bodies (chakra's) to unblock them and let them flow.
- Chanting / mantra meditation, is to get into a mantra of chant to heal yourself, the world and the people around you, old Sanskrit language that are still part of our cells our waters and that resonate that meaning and frequency. So to chant or sing a certain mantra with an intention you bring yourself into that state and this is very helpful for your hole being.
- Hypnosis Meditation, going deep into trance with a guided meditation that will unlock parts of you you never were aware of before or give you insights or intentions and mindset for things to attract in your life.
- Sound healing meditation, sounds and frequencies have a great impact on our physical and energetic bodies, you can have a whole journey with just a shamanic drum playing or singing bowls, these might be insightful or healing parts that just needed that frequency to open up and transform.
Being aware of what happens in the now and what your relationship is with the now can be done in many ways, focused on many levels, with intentions are direction your awareness and energy, this means that meditation can be done walking, working, sitting, laying down, doing Yoga, Chi Kung, Tai Chi or just talking with someone and being fully present. All of this is to get more space in your head, to be more in touch with your innerself, to know that your heart wants, to de-stress, to live your full potential under any circumstance.
The following meditation techniques helped me a lot. and after interviewing other people they gave their preferences.
Body scan (Dutch)